Thursday, April 10, 2008

Spend Wisely

I was intrigued by an interesting church-sign this evening. It read...

Life is like a coin. You can spend it however you wish. But the fact remains, you can only spend it once.

It seems I've been thinking ALOT lately about the years I spent away from the Lord. Or should I say, away from His Will. In doing so, I find that I'm all the more thankful for God's bountiful grace and mercy upon my life. There's absolutely nothing I did to deserve it. The fact is, I don't deserve it! Yet, He's poured out His goodness in more ways than I can even begin to mention here. That's for sure!

But the more I think about this church sign, the more I realize how very true its message is. We're each given this amazing gift called life. We only have one chance at it (here on earth). Yet, sadly, we waste so much of it! We "spend" it in all the wrong ways, in all the wrong places, and sometimes even with all the wrong people. That's my life in a nutshell... before I came back to the Lord.

Unfortunately, there are many who never realize their need of Christ in their life. They never come to the point of accepting His gift of salvation. They never enjoy the benefits of the Holy Spirit dwelling within their heart... that peace, joy, and love that can only come from Him. They never know the privilege of serving Jesus Christ, Who gave His life so they could live. They never share the blessings of fellowship with other believers.

What a sad, sad picture of how so many choose to "spend" their lives!

As I said earlier, that was my life... before I came back to the Lord. I was living life the way I wanted to live it. I gave no thought nor care for how He wanted me to live.

But even so, once I realized the error of my way and repented, He was ready and willing to wipe the slate clean. He forgave me, and He never brought my past up again... ever.

My favorite verse of Scripture is 2 Corinthians 5:17, which affirms the truth of what He did for me...

"Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things passed away; behold, all things are become new."


So you see, while the message on the church sign is accurate, on an earthly perspective... I'm so thankful it's a completely different story, spiritually. No matter how we "spend" our lives, nor how much of it we "waste", He's always there... ready and willing to forgive us and to wipe the slate clean. We have His Word on it!

Don't ever think that you, or someone you love, is a "lost cause". There's no such thing in God's eyes. He died for each and every one of us, all the same. No matter what we've done, nor where we've been. The only thing He's concerned about is where we're going. He wants us to come to Him. He's made it possible. All we have to do is believe... in Him... Who He is... what He did... and why.

"For God so loved the world, that He gave His only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in Him, should not perish but have everlasting life." - John 3:16


"That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.
For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation." - Romans 10:9,10


Leave a reply by clicking the "comment" link below. Thanks!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey darling, Great blog! Thanks for sharing. Call me when you get a chance, I need to ask you something.

Love you sweetie!