Monday, September 3, 2007

Calgon, Take Me Away!

Whew! What a busy week! I can't believe I'm just now finding some time to sit down and post! I don't know how I used to ever get so much done! It seems, anymore, the more I do, the more I leave undone. And unfortunately, my blogging was one of the "un-dones" this week. So for those who were waiting, I do apologize. I'll do my best not to let so much time pass betweeen my posts, in the future.

As I said, it's been a really hectic week... getting back into the groove of some of our ministries at church, now that Summer is over... working on several projects/studies I have going on simultaneously... preparing my Sunday School lesson... shopping for and spending time with my husband for his birthday... and that doesn't include the regular tasks of work, laundry, cooking, house-cleaning. (Calgon, take me away!)

My, what ever would we do if we had children???!!!

I know, I know, silly question... the Lord would provide all that was needed, including an extra helping of grace, to make it all work out. :)

He's good about that, isn't He? In my own life, I couldn't possibly count the many times He's made a way for me, when there seemed to be no way. No matter how anxious, or baffled I may have gotten over my circumstances, He's always come through, just like He said He would, even if what I wanted wasn't what I needed. He's always been there, regardless. Truly, He is that friend Who sticketh closer than a brother! (Proverbs 18:24)

Sometimes our brothers (or other family members) forsake us. They turn their backs on us, when we really need to know we can count on them, for their prayers, for their devotion. Those very ones whom we'd like to think would be our greatest support group, all too often, they fail us. And it hurts. But what makes the hurt even greater is if their reason is because we love and serve the Lord.

I've been deeply discouraged by this for quite a while now, in regards to members of our family. There are a few who outright scold and criticize us because we're "too busy in our church". They're very openly opinionated about that, and I must say, it hurts... deeply. My first response was to get defensive about it, and act in the flesh. But I can't do that. What possible good would come from it? What would it do to my testimony? What would it do for the cause of Christ?

So I do nothing... other than pray.

In my frustration, I am reminded of Scripture, where we're told to take up our cross and follow Jesus. It doesn't tell us that the cross won't be hard to bear, at times. The thought of family and friends who don't understand why we serve in the capacities that we do, and therefore criticize us for doing so... they, indeed, make the cross heavy. But should that keep us from carrying it? Most definitely not!

I think that's one of the many ways the enemy tries to trip us up. If we make up our minds that we're gonna serve the Lord, he wants to do any and every thing he can to throw a wrench in the wheel, bringing all our well-intentions to a grinding halt. He'll use even our family members to try and keep us from doing anything that would further the Kingdom of God.

Yes, the cross gets heavy sometimes. Yes, sometimes we may feel like it's too much for us to bear. We get weary in the fight, after facing so much opposition, over and over again. But there again, I am reminded of great assurances in Scripture. Matthew 11:28-30 is one of my favorite passages, because it shows me the Lord cares about the load we carry for His sake.

Come unto me, all ye that labour and are heavy laden, and I will give you rest. Take my yoke upon you, and learn of me; for I am meek and lowly in heart: and ye shall find rest unto your souls. For my yoke is easy, and my burden is light.

I am so thankful for that passage! What comfort it has been to me, time and time again. Isn't it wonderful to know how loving and gracious our Lord is? He cares about our troubles and trials. He's faithful to walk through the valleys with us, never leaving us to face anything on our own. He gives us comfort in knowing we can come to Him and find rest in Him. I don't know about you, but I'll take that over Calgon any day of the week!!!

Dear Heavenly Father, how I thank You for Your love and mercy. Thank You for carrying my burdens for me, when I'm too weak to continue on my own. Thank You for Your faithfulness, for being so good to me, though I've done nothing to deserve such blessings. Thank You for the peace You bring, in every situation that we give to You. Lord, I ask that You work in the hearts of those who don't understand, those who don't support our choice to follow You. Lord, I pray that You show them Your will, and Your way. Thank You for being so good. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

Leave a reply by clicking the "comment" link below. Thanks!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You sound as busy as a bee, good to see it's all for the Lord, honey!