Sunday, September 9, 2007

Seeking God

Before we go any further here, let's take a look at a particular verse that's been on my heart lately. In fact, with all the political campaigning and debating going on, I've been outright convicted by this verse, for my own endorsement of a particular political figure over the past several weeks (months).

2 Chronicles 7:14 says, "If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land."

If you're like me, you've been praying and asking God to raise someone up that would bring our nation back to the godly principles upon which it was founded. Being disappointed with one presidential candidate after another, I was thrilled when "good ol' boy" Fred Thompson finally threw his hat in the ring. I shouted, in fact, when he officially announced late Wednesday night that he was running.

"Finally," I thought, "here's someone who makes sense. He doesn't talk in circles. He believes in fighting for those things which are near and dear to my heart. He seems to know how to take care of what needs to be done, and not stop short of completing the task. Yes! This is what (who) America needs, this next term!"

I don't know about any of you, but I, personally, can tell when the Lord begins to chasten me. He puts me in the big squeeze, so to speak, deeming me totally incapable of functioning on my own. I get this uneasy feeling, knowing something isn't just like it ought to be. And from much experience, I've come to know it's not good to ignore it. The best (and only) thing to do is to seek His wisdom and guidance in what I should or shouldn't be doing. Sometimes the answer isn't so easy on the ears. This was one of those times.

I've been watching Fred Thompson for several months now, ever since there was first mention of his possibly running for President, which was back in March, I believe. To be honest, he's had my vote all along, although he hadn't officially gotten into the race until this past week. Again, I was elated when it finally came to be!

But ya know, after a few rotten days... days of knowing something wasn't just right within me, I began searching my heart and I soon realized what the problem was. I was "pulling for" this fellow as if this were some type of sporting event, and he were my favorite player.

That isn't God's solution, nor the answer to our prayers!

Granted, Fred Thompson could very well be the one God so chooses to raise up to lead our country for the next four years. That's all well and good, if it's God's Will.

But you see, I had been leaning on my own understanding, making my own assessment of things. And that's where so many of us go wrong, in many aspects of our lives. Rather than look to the Lord, asking Him for His opinion, to give us discernment in a particular situation, we do our own homework and make our own choices, which often results in our own failure. I admit, I failed here. I should have continued to pray and seek God's guidance before endorsing anyone in particular, regardless of how things may have appeared to me.

God wants us, in all things, to seek Him. Whether it's in choosing a mate, or choosing a president, He wants us to look to Him, and again, not lean on our own understanding.

5Trust in the LORD with all thine heart; and lean not unto thine own understanding. 6In all thy ways acknowledge him, and he shall direct thy paths.

7Be not wise in thine own eyes: fear the LORD, and depart from evil. (Proverbs 3:5-7)


Sometimes it's good for us to be reminded of Who God is, and who we are, in the big picture. As Mama used to say, "Sometimes we need to be taken down a notch or two."


We have to keep in mind Who's God and who's sinful, mortal man. He's fully capable of bringing anything and everything to pass, with or without our help. But we're not capable of anything without Him. (John 15:5b)


If I can be reminded of this, and repent of my wrong-thinking and doing, would you say it's possible for our whole country to do the same? I would say so! But more importantly, God says so. Let's look at that again.

"If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land."

Wow! What promise!

If, throughout the remainder of this presidential campaign (and always), our nation would get back to the basics, humbling ourselves before Him, seeking His Will (not our own), and turning from the sick perversions we've grown so accustomed to, He will forgive us and bring healing to us.

Our country is in dire need of healing! So what are we waiting for? Let's all join and agree together to pray for our nation, for it's leaders (present and future), for wisdom and guidance in all things that we may again be a Godly nation, founded on morality and Biblical principles. Let's individually and corporately seek God's face, knowing that He's promised to hear and answer... and to bring healing to our land!

Leave a reply by clicking the "comment" link below. Thanks!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Yes, we must be very careful to pray and seek God's Will concerning this election.