Saturday, October 27, 2007

RU Blessings

I couldn't wait to share with you what a great blessing RU was tonight (Reformers Unanimous Addictions Program). We had so many new folks come tonight, in addition to several new participants from within our church. Then, too, one fellow who came by and spoke with me yesterday, after having seen our sign on the side of the road... he was interested in finding help for his son. Well, his son came tonight, and seemed to really enjoy it. That in itself just goes to show how the Lord answers prayer. His father had been concerned that maybe the "religious" aspect of the program would turn his son off. But if it did, we couldn't tell it tonight.















I'd say my favorite part of tonight's meeting was the testimony time. It seemed to go on and on and on (which was a good thing). We didn't just hear testimonies from the workers, but also quite a few heartfelt, emotional testimonies of God's grace from those who've been coming from the homeless shelter downtown. What a blessing!

I can't stress it enough, these folks are just like you and me. They may not have many of the luxuries that you and I have. But they're no different than us. We've all made bad choices in life. We've all done things we aren't proud of. We've all gotten involved in some things we know we shouldn't have gone anywhere near.

But ya know, the most wonderful thing that you and I have... our relationship with Jesus Christ... many of these folks also have. They've seen God's hands at work in their lives, just as we've seen them at work in ours. They bear witness to His mighty power in turning their lives around. Again, in the same way He so lovingly commissioned OUR lives into a U-turn.

One thing I especially enjoy doing at our RU meetings is watching the faces of our newcomers, as some of the others share a testimony. It's an awesome thing, to be able to watch as their emotions are (unknowingly) revealed. I often see tears, which tells me that the Lord is at work there. (Again, sometimes unbeknownst to them.)

Something else I'm always impressed with, is how much our participants believe in prayer. We fill out prayer cards each week, and then during our prayer time, Bro. Mike prays over these requests, mentioning them all by name. The list seems to grow longer each week, and I guess it amazes me to hear how faithfully our RU participants lift one another up in prayer. (It's also quite humbling.)

Our Pastor has said on numerous occasions how he loves to have children praying for him when (if) he's ever sick. Their simple, yet effective, prayers are enough to bring any grown man to his knees in humility. I like to relate that same theory to our RU participants. They're "young" Christians... "babes in Christ". So it's a blessing to see these "babes" take the time to list and pray for those around them. I can't help but be reminded of what Jesus told His disciples one day.

He said, "Suffer the little children to come unto me, and forbid them not: for of such is the kingdom of God." (Mark 10:14)

No one should ever do or say anything to discourage or hinder the "little ones" (nor the young Christians) from getting to Jesus. We should do everything we can to make a way for them to do so, without it ever being an issue. It's all about His plan and His purpose. And we sure don't want to get in God's way, after all!

But anyway, I'm just so thankful for God's blessings upon this area of ministry. I'm grateful to Him, for allowing me this awesome privilege of seeing lives changed by Him, right in front of my eyes. And ya know, the farther we get into this program (8 months now), the more I realize He's working in me, as well. He's moving things around inside my own heart, throwing out some things, and bringing in some other things. Truly, He's giving my life an extreme make-over. And thankfully, it doesn't cost me a cent. He's already paid for it.

Please continue to pray for our RU program. Pray for many others to come in, as this one man did yesterday, seeking help for either themselves or someone they love.

Pastor used to say, as he was anticipating starting this program here... "Help is on the way!"

Well, help is here... and so now we need more participants... and workers.

Please continue to pray that the Lord would bring them in. (Thanks!)

Leave a reply by clicking the "comment" link below. Thanks!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'll be praying for this program to continue to grow, to bring others to a saving knowledge of Jesus Christ. It's good to hear how the Lord is working in RUI, showing folks the way to freedom from bondage. God bless you all!