Monday, October 1, 2007

Overflowing

"Thou preparest a table before me in the presence of mine enemies: thou annointest my head with oil; my cup runneth over." - Ps. 23:5

This past week has indeed been a tough one. One wicked device after another, in an attempt to cause me to stumble. I wish I could say I've been sure-footed through it all, but in all honesty, I must admit that I did lose my footing a couple of times. It's only by God's grace and with the help of a few close sisters-in-the-Lord that I didn't plunge. Praise God for that! (And for them!)

It's funny how, when you're going through a storm, you can't see through to the light of day. All you can see are the dark clouds looming overhead. Your entire outlook seems to blend in with the storm brewing around you... all dark and dreary, with no hope of a brighter day.

How convicting that is for me, as a Christian, because that isn't the way we're supposed to see things in the midst of our storms. We're supposed to see Jesus, no matter what the "weather" around us. We're supposed to completely trust Him to carry us through the storm, and never waiver in our faith.

I suppose I did some waivering this week. When the enemy sought to bring me down, I gave him some room to play... and he did... FOR A WHILE.

But I'm so thankful, satan is no match for King Jesus!!!

My Lord came through, as He always does, opening up the windows of Heaven, and pouring out that blessed sunshine into my heart, despite my weaknesses and heaviness of heart. I can't praise Him enough for that!

Yesterday's worship services were probably the most dear to my heart in quite some time. The messages, the music... every aspect of the morning service, especially... were God's hand at work to bring about a shift of those winds in my life. No more howling storms. No more raging seas. He brought peace to those hurricane-force winds, at last.

And the funny thing is, I ought to have known that He would, all along. He always has before, so why wouldn't He now? (Oh me, of little faith!)

I was reminded of the story of Stephen this week, and how much Christ cared for him. When Stephen was being stoned to death, the Bible tells us that he looked towards Heaven and saw the glory of God, and he saw Jesus standing there at the right hand of His Father.

For those who don't understand what this is saying, let me make it clear. According to Scripture, Jesus is normally seated at the right hand of God. But while Stephen was being stoned (for Christ's sake), Christ arose from His throne...
He stood for His child.

My, what immeasurable love shown there! Think about it. Could you just sit and watch as one of your children was being persecuted so? No, and neither could He!

There's a song entitled "He Stood For His Child", recorded by a group of young girls who are dear to my heart. They're from Victorious Valley Children's Home, in upstate South Carolina. I've listened to this song many times, but I must say, until this week, it never meant as much to me. But now I feel as though I, too, caught a glimpse of that awesome glory, and I feel more than ever that what I've been going through, my God cares about. I can just see Him standing there, FOR ME.

It reveals to me yet again that I don't have to fret because of those who would rise up against me. I don't even have to do the "fighting" in the battle. It's HIS fight. And according to Scripture, He's already won it!

I can truly say my cup is overflowing tonight, with His goodness and mercy. What blessing!

---------------------------------------------

UPDATE:

For those who would like the words to the song I mentioned above...

He Stood For His Child

No one stood beside him. He seemed to be all alone
Dying for a cause that seemed in vain
As stones bruised his body, Stephen looked past the tears
And seeing one glimpse of Jesus, forgot his pain.
As men looked upon him, they did not understand
The faraway look in his eyes
But no one else around him could see what Stephen saw
As he watched the Son of God arise.

He stood for His child, He rose from His throne
He knew how it felt to die alone
He heard the cry, and He saw the tear
And He wanted Stephen to know that He was near
He stood for His child.

At times I look around me; satan tells me no one cares
And throws stones of doubt in my way
But I know my Saviour loves me, as I look past the tears
I see Him standing and hear Him say,

"I'll stand for My child. I'll rise from My throne.
I know how it feels to be alone.
I hear the cry, and I see the tears.
And I want you to know that I am near.
I'll stand for My child."

You may order the CD from the Victorious Valley Homes Website.

Leave a reply by clicking the "comment" link below. Thanks!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I don't believe I've heard that song before. Do you have the words? Where can I get a copy? I'm glad things are looking better now. Always remember, HE IS IN CONTROL!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing these words. How beautiful. I'm sure listening to the song is even better. Thanks again!