Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Weekend Getaway

Okay, okay... I know I promised some of you that I'd post some photos from our weekend getaway, so here's your post. Enjoy! ;)

For those who don't know what I'm talking about, Steve and I finally took a few days to go to our place up in the mountains of Virginia, for some much-needed R & R. The scenery was gorgeous, once we got higher up into the hills. Like everyone else, they've had such a dry summer, which greatly contributed to the delay in color change. But it was beautiful, just the same.















We managed to pack quite a bit of "adventure" into those two short days, with the help of our friends, Mr Frank & Ms Elfreda. We owe a great deal to them, even besides their generosity this weekend. They've been so good to us, looking after our house up there and keeping everything going, in our absence. They keep the grass mowed in the summer, and keep the place winterized when it's cold. We truly appreciate their friendship!

Mr Frank took us for a ride up the mountain on his 6 wheeler, which I especially loved. This thing was waaaay cool! We rode up through the pumpkin patch and looked at the beautiful scenery below. Then he took us into the woods and further up the mountain, where we spotted signs of deer and bear, which are both plentiful there now.

























































We had a great time, being up close and personal with nature, and especially knowing we were in good hands. Mr Frank does this all the time, as he goes hunting up in these woods. Ordinarily, I probably wouldn't have gone into the woods like that (in unfamiliar territory). But we knew Mr Frank did this often enough, that he knew what (if any) safety precautions to take, and when to do so.

We attended the little country church we always visit while there (Springfield Baptist Church in Elks Creek). It was good seeing those we haven't seen for so long. There was even a 1-week old baby there, whom everyone flocked around, naturally. It was so sweet, watching his Dad with him. (His mom was at home recovering from surgery.)















Please remember this church in your prayers. They're seeking a pastor right now, as their previous pastor died of a massive heart attack back in the summer. They're "trying out" several preachers, but aren't really "settled" on any of them thus far. Please pray that the Lord would send the man He would have stand in the pulpit there. They would appreciate your prayers, I'm sure.

We sooooo enjoyed the scenery up there this weekend! I especially love taking a drive and looking at all the old barns and cattle, and fish. (Yes, FISH... trout, to be exact.)





























The trout were actually pretty plentiful here, as you can tell. :)















I love old barns... and cows.















I always wanted a cow named "Belle". Since this one's wearing ear-rings, I think I'll call her "Jezibelle", instead.





























I was looking forward to the tranquility of being in this far away remote place. Just for a little while, the peace and quiet were worth far more than the modern conveniences to which I've grown accustomed... cell phone, cable tv, the internet (although I did pack my iPod). I had planned to do alot of studying and maybe even some writing during all this "quiet time". It didn't quite work out that way, but it was good, just the same. No complaints.

Now, it's time to get back to the real world. At church (work), we've got quite a bit happening in the next several days. We're gearing up for our annual "Jubilee by the Sea", which begins next Wednesday night (Nov. 7th), and goes on through the following Sunday (Nov. 11th). This year, we have another great line-up of speakers and musical guests. Check out our website, for more info.

I hope you all have a great week. I'll try to post again in a day or two.
By the way, this Wednesday, October 31st, is the 10th anniversary of my rededicating my life to the Lord (10-31-97).
I thank Him so much for all the love and mercy He's bestowed upon me throughout the past 10 years! He's sooooo good, and so very faithful!

Leave a reply by clicking the "comment" link below. Thanks!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The pictures are wonderful! Makes me wish I could go, next time. It's sure pretty up there. I'm glad you two could get away, even if only for a little while. You'll just have to plan to go again before too long. Love you hon.

Anonymous said...

Beautiful scenery. Can i go next time? j/k You and steve need to get away more often. I bet it's pretty when the snow falls. See you Sunday.

Anonymous said...

I thought Jezebel was cute with her earings :)