Sunday, June 1, 2008

A New Flock

My husband, Steve, thought it a good idea to go ahead and replenish our hen house, MUCH to my disapproval. "It's just too soon," I insisted, "why don't we just wait a while, and in the meantime, we'll keep watching out for our beloved MIA's to return."

He was persistent, so yesterday I went with him to pick up the new flock, to combine with our 4 remaining hens. Granted, they're very beautiful... actually GORGEOUS... this new flock, consisting of 1 rooster and 10 hens. (Yea, I know... that's alot!) But despite their beauty, and my husband's well intentions, they're just NOT the same. They're not "trained" to do some of the things my others did... like come to me when I call, "Kitty, kitty, kitty." Nor do they respond to my talking to them in the same way my original group did. And what's worse, they don't get along very well with my 4 hens. I've broken up several fights already, and it's only been 24 hours or so.

My friend, Pam, has been encouraging me this past week by telling me she's praying for chicken mercies. Well, Lois definitely needs some chicken mercies about now! I want to get over the fact that they're "different" from MY chickens. I want to grow to love them, and to love them as much as I do my others. I suppose it'll take some time, and quite a bit of observation, to get to know them (and them, I), for us to have the same kind of bond I had with the others. So please pray that the Lord will bless the situation, and also for them to get along with Daisy, Lily, Dahlia, and Petunia.

I've already been working on names. I wanted to keep with the "flower" theme... minus the rooster, who was already named.
(Meet "Roscoe", by the way.)

He's a gorgeous fella, as you can see, but he's kind-of mean. We're gonna try to trim his spurs this week, because his previous owners warned us of his "attacks". (Oh joy!)

But anyway, I've come up with names for the girls, all except one. She's a beautiful creature, whose colors remind me of flames. (This photo doesn't do her justice.) I've never seen one quite like her, but I'm searching for a flower-name, that has something to do with fire or flames, given her flame-like feather features (say that 3 times really fast). This is where YOU come in. I'm asking for suggestions, and from those, I'll pick out one that best suits her. I did find a *fire flower*, which greatly resembles her markings. But I just don't like that name. So please leave me a comment with any and all of your suggestions. OK?

Well, I'd better run for now. I'm still praying for my other little ones to come home. Steve doesn't think they will, but I'm praying, regardless. What a happy day that will be, when they do!

"...Go thy way; and as thou hast believed, so be it done unto thee..."
Matthew 8:13
"...Believe ye that I am able to do this?
...According to your faith, be it unto you."

Matthew 9:28,29

Leave a reply by clicking the "comment" link below. Thanks!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

how about Starburst?

Anonymous said...

you could always come up with made-up name... like an indian name... fire beam... sun catcher...sunfire.

Kim said...

I will continue praying for your MIA's...How about sunflower...they look kind of like sunbeams too...