Monday, August 13, 2007

Much To Be Thankful For

Today, I visited a friend of mine, who's in the battle of his life. Or should I say, the battle for his life. He has a rare form of bone cancer, and hasn't had any treatments for the last several weeks. I can tell you, satan has waged an outright war against Paul, who is a new Christian. He and his wife both were saved not that many months ago, and they've been a real blessing to all of us at GSBC. I'm so thankful I've had the priviledge of knowing them. But like I said, the enemy has shown no mercy to him whatsoever, despite Paul's illness, nor the fact that he has a 5-year old son.

Being a new Christian, Paul was excited to put his faith and trust in Christ, for his healing. He wasn't the least bit ashamed of sharing that faith, even with his doctor. I find that most commendable. However, the doctor wasn't so receptive. In fact, he scoffed and mocked my friend, for his belief. How could someone do that? Especially an educated man like he would apparently have to be, to be a doctor, I mean. Can you imagine what that must do to someone who's just come into the faith? At a time when Paul needs uplifting, encouraging words, here this man was adament in tearing him down, and robbing him of his hope. How frustrating!

Due to the difficulty of going back to this doctor, Paul hasn't been getting any medical help at all lately. He's been "dealing with it" as best as he could, in his home... most of the time, lying in bed, in excruciating pain. It doesn't take a genious to figure out that won't work for very long. And I must say that after seeing Paul today, I'm sure it wouldn't have been much longer at all.

But after much prayer and with the consent of his family, Paul left this evening to go to New York, to stay with his brother, so he can get his medical treatments there. I, like everyone else, was against it at first. But then after hearing (and then today, seeing) what was becoming of him here without the care he so desperately needs, I've come to realize it's for the best. He continues to trust the Lord to heal him, as he told me today, "one way or another".

My prayer is that any and every one who comes across this post will pause for a moment and lift Paul up in prayer. Pray for wisdom and guidance for the doctors who will be treating him (1st appt. tomorrow). Pray for his wife and son, who will be staying here, in order for their insurance to stay in tact. (It's through her job here.) Pray for comfort for them, in being separated from their loved one for who knows how long. I can't imagine the emptiness she must be feeling inside. Pray that the Lord will indeed heal Paul, physically, and bring him to the point of being able to come back home to his family.

My heart breaks for this precious family. I wish you could see the picture I took of them the day they joined our church. I've often said they look like a missionary family, getting ready to embark on a mission field somewhere. I would love to post that picture, but for the sake of their privacy, I'll not do that.

Ya know, as I've been reflecting on this family and especially Paul's outspokenness about his faith in Jesus Christ, it's really brought conviction upon my heart. There have been so many times I could have shared Jesus with someone, or times where I could have spoken up and said, "I know God can do this... or that." But I didn't. Too often I sat idly by, saying nothing.

I suppose in light of death seeming so very real and so close to me, it's easier to see the "bald spots" in the field... those areas where the seed didn't produce. I'm ashamed to say, I have alot of bare places in my life. I see many wasted years behind me.

Thankfully, though, I don't have to dwell on the past. The apostle Paul tells us in Philippians that we're to press on towards the mark, not looking back on those things that are behind us... those things we cannot change. Wow... what a passage of Scripture, to keep us from sinking into a pool of shameful misery! Thank You, Lord!

But in thinking about Paul and his family, and what they're going through, it makes me realize even more that I have so much to be thankful for. I tend to get the "I wants" sometimes, as does most everyone, I assume (or maybe it's just me). I sometimes catch myself desiring to have unnecessary things, like the latest phone or computer gadget. And sadly, it takes going on a missions trip to some other country, and seeing how little those folks have (yet they're perfectly content); or sitting by a friend who has cancer, and watching as he struggles to breathe, even... to make me realize the things I take for granted. My, the shame there! Things like that certainly have a way of putting things into proper perspective.

The Apostle Paul sums it all up best, I think, where he says this...

Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content. Philippians 4:11

But godliness with contentment is great gain. 1 Timothy 6:6

Let your conversation be without covetousness; and be content with such things as ye have... Hebrews 13:6

I'm still working on all that. I know I have quite a ways to go, but by God's grace, I'm getting there.

Please do pray for my friend, Paul, and for his wife and son. Pray that the Lord's generous hand of mercy be upon every aspect of their lives. The enemy will use this to try and break them, spiritually. But I believe that together, we can pray a hedge of protection around them so high and so wide, the enemy cannot break through. Please join me.

Father, I come before Your throne, asking first of all, that You forgive me for being so caught up in the things of this world... those material things that don't amount to a hill of beans, in the realm of eternity. Lord, I ask that You help me become more and more like you, with each and every day that passes, and that You'll continually show me what and where I need to change. Lord, I thank You for the many, many blessings You've given me, things I've too often taken for granted... things as simple as the air I breathe. I was reminded today that I need to be thankful for each breath You've given me, and that I should use it for Your glory. That is my desire, and with Your help, I long to do just that. Lord, I ask that Your healing hand be upon Paul, as he continues his medical treatments in New York. Lord, I pray for wisdom and guidance for the doctors who will be attending him there. Show them how to best care for him, and with the utmost respect. Father, I pray that You strengthen Paul, and surround him with those who will lift his spirit, and who'll bring him to think on all that You've done in his life thus far, not dwelling on the negative circumstances involved in this battle with cancer. Lord, I pray that You wrap Your loving arms around Janeth and Joshua, and let them feel so close to You during this valley they, too, are walking through. Comfort them and bring to them the peace that passeth all understanding. Let them learn to lean and depend solely on You, and to have joy in their hearts as they wait to see their loved one again. Lord, bless this family, I pray. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

Leave a reply by clicking the "comment" link below. Thanks!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

i will be praying for Paul. please pray for me too. my kids are living with my mom because i lost my job. i have been in a mess. i am glad to have church people looking out for me though.