Monday, August 13, 2007

We're Not Alone In Our Struggle

First of all, let me say of course, we're not alone! Christ is with us, through any and every aspect of our lives. In fact, He's given us His Word that He will never leave us, nor forsake us. (Hebrews 13:5b) And I don't know about you, but for me personally, I've never experienced a time when He wasn't true to His Word.

But what I was talking about when I entitled this post was that no matter what we face in life, the Bible is full of examples of godly men and women who have also faced what we're going through. For me, that's comforting to know, because for one thing, I am reminded once again that "it's not about me!" (That seems to be the theme song of my life!) It brings things into proper perspective, knowing that the world isn't gonna end because of whatever crisis "Lois" might be facing at any given time. It didn't end for those folks in the Bible, nor will it with me.

But then, too, in seeing that those who were here before me have gone through the same or similar situations, I can look at their experiences and gain better insight in how to handle my own particular problem. That's what being an example is all about! And I believe that's why the Holy Spirit inspired the writers of the Bible to include them. Think about it. The Lord was looking after us there. He gave us a guide-book to go by, showing us the errors of those before us, so that we could take a lesson. And thankfully, I've finally reached a period in my life where I appreciate that. I figure, I need all the help I can get!

It is indeed of great comfort, knowing that we're not alone in the struggles we face. It brings this big world in, much more snugly, especially thinking of those Biblical examples who also walked the same roads that we walk. God was faithful to them, and He is ever faithful to us, as well.

A friend of mine had a bad day yesterday. The enemy fought tooth and nail to bring anger and resentment into a certain situation. And to be honest, he succeeded in that endeavor. (But the battle isn't over yet!) Why did he do it? The answer is simple. He was betting that if he could bring everyone at odds against one another, then it would turn some away from hearing God's Word, which would in turn (like all of satan's wicked devices do), open up a whole new can of worms, then another, then another.... until pretty soon he has such a stronghold on these lives, they can never enjoy the peace and joy of the salvation for which Christ so willingly sacrificed for them.

The devil uses common folk to do his leg work for him... family, friends, church-family, even. We Christians sometimes have this mental picture of the enemy's "helpers", being that of "grim-reaper" appearance... complete with skulls and crossbones, and adorned in black. But in all reality, his helpers often wear Sunday dresses, and suits and ties.

I think of King David, who in Psalm 55 (verses 12-14) says this...

For it was not an enemy that reproached me; then I could have borne it: neither was it he that hated me that did magnify himself against me; then I would have hid myself from him: But it was thou, a man mine equal, my guide, and mine acquaintance. We took sweet counsel together, and walked unto the house of God in company.

Wow, even King David faced what my friend faced yesterday! Someone whom he took counsel with went up against him. Some things never change! Please don't misunderstand me. I'm not knocking anyone, or any group of people in particular. I have been the enemy's "assistant" on more than one occasion, myself. I'm not proud of it, in the least. But I have learned that we must be honest with ourselves (and others), and most importantly, before God Almighty, before we can even begin to turn anything around. I can never point my finger at someone else, without having 3 more pointed right back at me. As corny as that old cliche may be, there's quite a bit of truth in it. ('Agree?)

But the bottom line is this. We all face conflicts day in and day out, especially if you're a Christian. The enemy, though he's lost your soul, will still do anything and everything he can do to rob you of your peace and joy. (John 10:10) Why? Because if he can pull you down into a sinking spell, singing "Woe is me...", then he's got you right where he wants you... defeated. And if you're defeated, you're not gonna be out and about singing praises to Jesus (which he hates), nor showing others the way of salvation. That's the reason!

So in times like these, take heart... we've all been there, on some level or another. Many folks in the Bible have been there, as well. But the best combat we have in this spiritual warfare is prayer. We can come boldly before the throne of grace to obtain His mercy and find grace to help us in our time of need. What a blessing!

Father, I thank You for Your Word, in which You give us help when we need it. I thank You for the correction and instruction You've given us, by which we can know how to live righteously. I thank You for humbling us, when we get on the wrong course, and for drawing us back to You when we see the error of our way. Father, I ask that You bless my friend, that You work in his situation, bringing peace and agreement among Your people. Lord, I ask that You heal all wounds, and most of all, Lord, that You keep us all in Your Will, in Your Word, and in Your House, that we not fall away from the plan and purpose You have for our lives. I thank You for hearing and answering our prayers, and for all Your many blessings. In Jesus' Name, Amen.

Leave a reply by clicking the "comment" link below. Thanks!

No comments: