Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Update

There's still no sign of the other chickens yet. Last night, I could hear the fox pups crying (not really a "bark"). I thought the traps must've worked, but when I drove down there and shined the flashlight on the one, it was empty. And the noise continued. It was on/off again for several hours. All I could do was pray. There was no way I could out there into the woods after dark. I don't even like doing it in the daytime (not alone, anyway). I'm too afraid of snakes and any other wild animals that might be residing out there. I guess you'd have to call it supernatural gumption, that I've been able to go out there so often these past 2 days... or rather, I suppose the most fitting term would be "LOVE".

I was just looking at my myspace page, which has the pics of the chickens on it (same as my blog), and the song was playing in the background (on my page), "Somebody's Praying Me Through". I couldn't help but think how fitting it was... 'cause I truly am praying them through... trying to, anyway.

I've been outside for the most part of the day. Everytime I come in for something, I keep thinking I hear the roosters crowing. I must be losing it, 'cause when I go running back out and listen, I don't hear a thing. It's like I get my hopes up, only to be let down again... and again... and again.

Of course, I should know it isn't possible for me to be hearing them crow, anyway. Colonel is gone, I'm sure of that. And Bingo doesn't crow very loudly. In fact, his crow is more like a "wanna be crow"... it's like he tries, but it won't come out right. It used to be so funny to me. I would just laugh at him when he'd do it, and then say, "It's okay, Bingo, you tried, didn't you, boy?". And he'd tilt his little head at me, like he always did while I was talking to him. Now I'd give anything to hear him again (for real). Then these tears of sorrow would quickly turn to tears of joy.

I was talking to Daisy, Lily, Dahlia, and Petunia earlier... and telling them how it's gonna be okay, that our buddies will be back soon. It's so sad to watch these 4 in there now... I was noticing today how they go around in circles, seemingly looking for the others. It just breaks my heart.

Speaking of those 4... I got 2 eggs today... one large and one small. That would be Daisy's & Lily's. It's good to know they're still laying, after all they've been through. I'm really surprised that they're laying now at all, because a few weeks ago, when I rearranged their "furniture" (that's what I choose to call their roosting shelves and nesting boxes inside the hen house), they were in such a turmoil over it, they didn't lay a single egg all day, the day after I did it. (I said then they MUST be baptist chickens... being that they don't seem to like change.) So anyway, for them to be laying NOW, after what they experienced Sunday evening... that's pretty good!

Well, I'm gonna go back out and see if I can "call them home". Again, I keep thinking about the message last night, how the sheep know their Shepherd's voice... and I'm hoping the chickens will hear and recognize MY voice, and will follow me on home. Of course, it will be dusk soon, so the foxes will be out again. Please keep praying... not so much for me, but for my little ones to be okay, and to come back safe & sound. Thank you!

Leave a reply by clicking the "comment" link below. Thanks!

No comments: