Sunday, May 25, 2008

Urgent Prayer Needed

I realize this request is somewhat odd, and may even be considered "frivolous" by some. But I firmly believe God grants us the desires of our heart, if we pray believing. So I'm asking you to join me in praying for my chickens. I came home from church tonight to find that they are all gone, except the 3 smallest ones. I got the big flashlight (more like a spot light), and then discovered several piles of feathers, all different colors, near the chicken coop. I've been frantically searching the edges of the woods, looking up in the trees... and anywhere else I thought they might be taking shelter... all to no avail. I've cried until my eyes hurt, and I've just come inside, hoping (praying) they'll show up, come morning.

I'm usually not so stupid in leaving them out, but it was only a couple of hours, I thought. When I fed them their "snack" before church this evening (I had to be at church a little early, so it was about 5:15 or so), one of them lunged at my feet. (I was wearing flip flops... and for some reason, they always do that, when I wear flip-flops. I think they might think my toes are berries or something, with the bright polish that's on them.) Anyway, it scared me, so I jumped back. And when I did, they all came running out of the fence.

I often let them out for about an hour or so before dark, and then they voluntarily return to the coop, right at dusk. I figured this would be one of those times, and that I'd come home to find them roosting safe & sound, in the coop.

But when I went out there to close the gate and secure it, I noticed 3 of the smaller hens on top of the fence. I tried to get them inside, but they wouldn't budge. They seemed far too skiddish, for some reason. Something told me to look in the hen house, so I did. I was horrified to find that there were none in there. So seven were missing!!!

Like I said, I discovered several piles of feathers, so I know something got after them, and apparently had them in a frenzy. My prayer is that that's ALL that happened... that nothing actually "caught" them and ate them. I'm praying they're just taking shelter somewhere until daylight. It breaks my heart to pieces to think that something could have happened to them. These are my "children", and I've sooooo enjoyed them, especially this past several weeks. It's so relaxing, and truly very special to me, being able to come home and watch them. As crazy as it sounds, I've come to know their different personalities. They really are like children, and for someone who said they didn't want anything to do with them, when Steve first mentioned getting them, I've sure done a complete turn-around. I've grown to love them, so again, I'm asking that you please pray that they're alright, and that they'll come home in the morning. I'll sure be up watching & waiting for them, when they do!

Thank you for your prayers. I will update you tomorrow on what transpires. Please be praying until then.

Leave a reply by clicking the "comment" link below. Thanks!

No comments: